Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Elephant Man/The Elegant Man

"I am not an animal! I am a human being!" -- John Merrick



On Wednesday night I watched The Elephant Man for the first time. I wasn’t sure what to expect – the title indicated it somewhat, and I wasn’t looking forward to watching a film about a man suffering from elephantiasis. Nonetheless, being the studious and nerdy student that I am, I found the film online, and pressed “play,” kind of annoyed at the whole thing. But, within the first 10 minutes, I found myself completely taken by the story…I think I may have used about 2 boxes of tissue paper. In retrospect, I think my initial reaction of not wanting to see a film about a man with elephantiasis is ironically fitting with its theme of people making judgments and assumptions. In other words, this was a good reminder not to judge a book by its cover.

Now that a day has passed and I have stopped weeping like a 5-year-old, I think I can begin to associate some theories to this amazing film. There is much to discuss: identity, the interpretation of dreams, Bakhtin’s “carnival,” the mirror stage, capitalism…where does one begin?!

Since there is an incredibly large pool of potential ideas to explore, I will mainly focus on Mikhail Bakhtin’s “Carnival” in relation to the film. “Carnival is the people’s second life, organized on the basis of laughter,” but what about when this laughter is at the expense of another human being? (Bakhtin 686). John Merrick, born Joseph Carey Merrick, tells the story of a young man suffering from a medical condition which completely deformed his physical appearance. He is covered with disfiguring tumors all over his body, including his head. Because of this “abnormal” appearance, Merrick spent his life being mocked, ridiculed, and laughed at. As if this isn’t enough humiliation, he was also displayed as a “freak” in the circus, where people paid money just to point and laugh at Merrick’s pain. Bakhtin writes, “laugher degrades and materializes…To degrade is to bury, to sow, and to kill simultaneously”(688).

But laugher isn’t the only response Merrick receives. Upon seeing him for the first time, many people scream in horror. This adds to the innumerable degradation Merrick faces because of his incurable fate. Each look of disgust and every sound of inhumane laugher kills Merrick’s soul. This type of humiliation “digs a bodily grave,” (688).




Works Cited:
Bakhtin, Mikhail. "Rabelais and His World." Literary Theory: An Anthology. 2nd ed. Ed. Julie Rivkin and Michael Ryan. Malden: Blackwell Publishing, 2004. 686-92. Print.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
The Elephant Man is an incredible film that opens people's eyes to the dignity of a man who suffered greatly from taunting and jeering crowds. Just want to point out that Merrick did not suffer from elephantiasis, despite the misleading name. Modern research leans towards a very rare bone and overgrowth disorder called 'Proteus Syndrome.
If you'd like to read more about the real Joseph Carey Merrick, you can visit josephcareymerrick.com, an excellent and thorough website run by Jeanette Sitton. There's also a discussion group about Merrick on facebook called Friends of Joseph Carey Merrick. Feel free to drop by!

Angela Keshishyan said...

Hi Mae:

Thank you for your comment. You're absolutely right. I actually did do plenty of research before posting this, but I see that my post wasn't as clear as it could have been. What I meant is that I ASSUMED it would be about a man suffering from elephantiasis, based on the title of course. I realize that I should have clarified in my post the actual illness he suffered from. My apologies.

Thanks for your comment, and I apologize again for the misleading information I presented.

Respectfully,
Angela